This breakfast French toast is made with oats, and it’s packed with protein and fiber. It’s an upgraded version of breakfast oatmeal you’ll love
Healthy French Toast With Oats
This breakfast French toast is made with oats, and it's packed with protein and fiber.
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 cups milk, dairy or non-dairy
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 egg whites
- 2 eggs (or leftover egg yolks from making a base)
- 1/4 cup milk, dairy or non-dairy
- 2 tbsp maple syrup, honey or agave
- 1.5 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp vanilla paste or vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp cornstarch or tapioca starch
- In a saucepan add rolled oats, milk and salt. Bring to boil over medium heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring all the time. Add egg whites and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Pour the oatmeal into a lightly greased baking dish, spread evenly, press a bit (not too much) and place in the fridge to chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Transfer the chilled oatmeal onto a cutting board and slice into sticks or squares.
- In a shallow dish make the batter, by beating together eggs, milk, maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla and cornstarch.
- Place the oatmeal slices into the batter and soak for couple of minutes on both sides.
- Fry these French oat slices over medium low heat for 2-3 minutes on each side, until nicely golden brown.
- Serve with cottage cheese, fresh berries and some peanut butter.
Calories: 209kcalCarbohydrates: 30.3gProtein: 5.7gFat: 9.1gSugar: 9.1g
Tried this recipe? Tag me on Instagram!Mention @howtocooksmarter and tag #howtocooksmarter